POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : free borland : Re: free borland Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: free borland
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 2001 12:46:32
Message: <3ADC73B0.2D96A0AB@aetec.ee>
Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> Is there any person who had sucesfully compiled povray and/or mega pov for
> windows with free line commands tools from Borland Museum ? I'm tired of working
> with djgpp version in console window and I'm looking for a way to achive own
> legal compilation of windows version. Only free for windows is Borland C++
> Compiler 5.5 but without tasm and with ilink instead tlink.
>
> And BTW: http://www.openwatcom.org/info.html - I hope it will be free for all
> platforms.
>
> ABX

Yes, I've. Couple of tips:
both POVRay and Borland have file mem.h (Borland includes this file in
standard header file memory.h) and this creates number of problems. I've
avoided it by copying borland's mem.h to mem1.h and changing Borland's
memory.h to use mem1.h. After this you have to ensure, that POV-Ray's
include files are in include path before Borland ones (makefile should
take care of it).
I'll post makefile and configuration file for Borland compiler for
MegaPOV in povray.binaries.programming. Take official source release for
Windows, install it and copy these files over official ones (offical one
has old version, number of files is changed/removed) in
POVRAY/windows/borland directory (POVRAY designates installation
directory). (if new version does not have borland directory, then just
create it under windows directory and copy these files there. I've used
version from 3rd IRTC CD). Then copy MegaPOV source files over POV-Ray
files and invoke make from borland command environment in
POVRAY/windows/borland directory. It should do it. (if your borland
installation is not in default directory c:\borland\bcc55, then change
this path in makefile). This makefile contains lots of crap, but it
worked for me...
If you try other makefiles, then be sure, that it defines
COMMONCTRL_VERSION, otherwise you have number of compile problems with
files in Windows directory. I used following C option:
-DCOMMONCTRL_VERSION=0x0400 (this is defined in above mentioned
makefile).
Warning: I'm afraid, that free version comes without optimizer: I've
tried to compile with and without optimization and there is no
difference, result is still much slower than VC++ version. So for
release You want probably to compile with other compiler.
This is all, I hope: I've done this some times ago, so it is possible,
that I've forgot something. If this does not work, then drop note and I
try to recall, what else I did.